Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: The largest speaker in the world ?

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi All, I have not posted here for sometime. I hope all is well. I just saw an episode of Myth Busters and they made a subwoofer with a 51 inch diameter driver that was driven by the transmission of the car it was in. They were trying to see if they could shater the windows. Cheers.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Welcome back, Igor!

    It doesn't take anywhere near a 50" driver to pop an auto glass, I did it with a couple of 12s in my pickup, (after sealing off the cabin pressure vents)! Limiters don't seem to be too popular among the automotive thumpers....I got sick and tired of being sick and tired of being annoyed by them while driving in town, so I installed some new gear in my truck. It's a real gas pulling up next to a carload of head-bobbing thumpers at a stoplight, and turning the amps on while nonchalantly staring at the light. They nearly break their necks looking around for the source of the competition, cause there's no way it's that old bearded hillbilly in the stock Chevy truck.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi BF, I bought a 25 foot catalina sailboat this winter with the intent of selling it in the spring.....got it for pennies on the dollar.....well, we have been sailing all summer and plan now on buying a bigger boat to live on next summer so I guess my interest have changed. Cheers.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Igor K. Naglavitch:
    Hi BF, I bought a 25 foot catalina sailboat this winter with the intent of selling it in the spring.....got it for pennies on the dollar.....well, we have been sailing all summer and plan now on buying a bigger boat to live on next summer so I guess my interest have changed. Cheers.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A most admirable task you've assumed there, young man....one I've considered/wished for since I was young. I never envisioned anything nobler than a houseboat/barge on the Big Muddy, making a complete round trip of the navigable length in the course of each year. Haven't given up on it yet.

    Marine-The Final Frontier?

    Wonder if I could get a grant to study wave theory and its' biological interaction with the environmemt
    (while kicked back in a lounger with a fishing pole and a grin.....) forums

    Oh yeah, I'd also be gigging at all the riverboat casinos along the way for tips and drinks. The Old Blues Highway ain't what it used to be, (roadhouses can't compete with Star Search) but paralleling it would be some mighty fine inspiration indeed.


    Sigh...that's just a dream though, you're doing it. Salute!

    Oh yeah, and what's the deal with sound when you're on the water? I mean heck, on a quiet night you can hear a frog f-art for a mile-and-a-quarter. Air density?

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's another candidate for largest manufactured woofer - Fostex FW 800-N 31.5" super woofer.
    www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexdrivers/fw800n.pdf

    ?800mm (31.5 in) cone type super woofer
    ?8 ohm impedance
    ?fo to 1.5kHz frequency response
    ?96dB sensitivity at 1W/1m (3.3ft)
    ?20.7kg (45.63 lb) net weight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.